Saturday, September 12, 2009

Grassi Lakes

I'm helping to run the New Hire Mountain field trip for work this week (I posted about it back at the end of June when I went on it). Unfortunately we weren't able to go to the Grassi Lakes outcrop due to a road closure, but I'm supposed to be presenting it this time so Breanna and I went out last Monday to check it out. It was a gorgeous day in Calgary, but not so lucky in Canmore where we got hit by some horizontal rain and cold wind gusts. Just thought I'd share a few pics of the area...
View of Grassi Lakes looking out towards Canmore:
Since we were on company time we were trying to be safety concious, but noticed this sign on the trail only as we were leaving the area! ... kind of had to get in there anyway to look at the rocks.
Okay... so here's the outcrop from afar (climbers for scale... note to self, must come back to go climbing!). For those inclined to notice rock stuff, try finding the stromatoporoid reefs and parasequence boundaries.
And a slightly distorted view of the lake looking up to Ha Ling Peak and the top of the Spray Lake Road/water tower (where we started from).
I noticed I have no close-ups of the rocks... will remedy this when I revisit the site this week.

No comments: