Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sulphur Springs

Sulphur Springs is a fun mountain bike trail just west of Bragg Creek on Hwy 66, starting from the Station Flats parking area. It's a good mix of up- & down-hills (rather than a single killer uphill followed by a massive downhill). It would have been really doable if we weren't a little bit tired still from the Rummel Lake hike we did the day before.

Here's a shot of Tom doing a victory pose towards the end of the ride when we came out at a particularly scenic spot. I attempted the same post but couldn't lift my bike as impressively... gotta work on the upper body strength! ... Kali seems impressed... or maybe trying to figure out what he's doing...

This is a classic grumpy Tom pose... I don't usually get smiling shots. This was somewhat of a prelude to the near-disaster Tom had a few minutes after taking to the trail again. He was going down a steep hill and his derailleur blew apart, jamming into his rear cog set. Fortunately Tom kept his cool and didn't lose control... and it was the hill coming down to a road. I rode back on the trail with Kali to get the car to pick him up... in the mean-time he converted the bike to a single-speed and coasted down the road to beat me back to the car. In hind-sight I should have left Kali with him and taken the road - would have been faster and saved my exhausted legs, but it was still a good ride and kept Tom from being bored. I think he only beat me by a few minutes anyway.

His bike is toast now... just good for parts unless we want to add a whole lot of expensive components. He's getting a bike from his buddy Mark though that has more travel (means he can do bigger, sillier things for those non-bikers) and should be arriving before he gets back home.

No comments: